Your memory is better than mine.

Jun 19, 2012 at 5:37 PM

It would be really good if the site remembered your last selection of code language and visibility level. This applies to the addin and website.

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Thanks for that idea. I'll add it into the to do list. BTW - what do you think of the look of the new snippet control?

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Here are my thoughts.

• The Addin is easy to use. The search / insert / save snippet are user friendly. I was using it the other day and I did find it simple and effective.
  • The website look and feel (I think I have mentioned this before) is great and nice on the eye. For me the aesthetics are really coming along.
  • You said in a previous comment that you have now got a version that can be scaled and built on which is fantastic.

The only downside I have found one or two things:

• I just cant seem to get the search to work correctly. When searching for any code under VB / VB.NET it only returns one item which is a WCF class that was posted a little while ago. If I choose the visibility level and code choice it does not alter the final search results. However it does seem to work with other languages.
    • Not quite sure what would be causing this. You have valid column constraints in the database so there should be no data missmatch in terms of language Id (16 and 17 for the vb stuff) in the language table and languageId in the codesnippet table.
    • From looking at some diagnostics, each search request is passing id 16 to the rest/search service. Could it be that all entries are being searched with the language text of vb instead (id 17). I am a little confused as this (I believe) was working before as we opened and closed a search related issue.
  • If you search for items and then wait a minute, then search again and or you do multiple searches (ok this is probably not very likely), the search box just displays the search progress animation and nothing appears. It seems to be an issue with a service timeout perhaps.
  • If you say open a browser or another application whilst the addin box is visible, when you return to Visual studio the addin box is gone. Ok that is expected as VS obtained focus but as there is no task bar item for the snippet window, you have to Control+tab to find it again. Not major and to be honest low priority as developers should know how to go around this.

Looking around the code I did see a couple of gems that I want to remember - one being how to timeout a TPL task without blocking the UI... Nice.

I think you have done a sterling job and although there are a couple of teething issues with vb and search, I can not seem to find anything wrong with other languages like C# and searching.

One last thing, (I know, I bet you think that this vb.nut should zip it) it would be great to add a bit more user profile settings.

• Ability to find the auth code that was displayed on registration. I have re-installed the addin a couple of times and I find it hard to remember my credentials for the addin.
  • Ability to see on the website your registered username / email for the settings of the addin
  • Ability to change your initial email address as some people could move jobs and their old work one will be the main registration username (This is a little tricky as the membership provider does indeed like email addresses!)
  • Somehow link the user profile with their codeProject account?!?!?

I think that's it. Sorry for rambling but I hope this all helps.

Coordinator
Jun 21, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Wow, that's a really comprehensive list there. Honestly, it's fantastic that we have someone who's as passionate as you looking at it. Don't think that we get upset when we get feedback like this, or that we resent the comments - we don't, in fact we welcome the feedback. This all helps to make a better product. I'll have another look at the VB issue - I have the sneaking suspicion that it might be to do with the visibility filtering we've put into the search.

As far as the profile stuff goes, I have already started on writing out more details for the user profile. The CP account is a feature we are already adding to support an API that we are going to write that will eventually be hooked into by CP. The email address thing is a good idea - I think we need to allow the user to have multiple email accounts registered, with one being used as the primary login account. The credentials auth code is certainly something we should be displaying.

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Hi Pete,

Firstly hope your break was good. Secondly I'm glad my feedback is welcomed. 

I look forward to seeing the next version with the new additions / fixes. It is coming along nicely. Cant wait for the CP integration.

I would be very happy to assist reviewing any further releases and trying out the site again.

Keep up the good work here and on CP!

Thanks Pete! 

Coordinator
Jun 24, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Well my friend, a simple 1 line fix has sorted the VB/VB.NET issue out. That's checked in and uploaded to the live site. I will be looking into the other sides now.

Coordinator
Jun 25, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Oh, and the hanging search seems to be fixed as well.

Jun 25, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Thanks Pete,

Will look at the new version tomorrow. Just started a new job and will get some others to start using it!

Now, forgive me but one thing has been vexing me so. What is the "open from web" thing all about?

Thanks

Dan

Coordinator
Jun 25, 2012 at 8:58 PM

It's just meant to be a handy way to open and view a snippet without having to upload it. Good luck with the new job by the way.